ASU Housing > Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS)

ASU Family Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

ASU Family Resources is a resource center for families here at ASU. Besides referrals, we also offer a variety of programs and services to assist students, faculty and staff families in effectively managing their family, work and educational responsibilities. For more information, please email

QUESTION: Is there child care at ASU? Especially infant care?
ANSWER: Only on the Tempe Campus:
There are numerous programs for children on the Tempe campus. They vary in the ages they serve and the scheduling they offer. No care for children birth to 1 year of age is available on the Tempe campus. General information on all campus programs may be obtained through ASU's Family Resources or by contacting the program directly. All programs maintain their own waiting lists and policies vary by program. Fees also vary, depending on the age of the child and scheduling option used. Please click on the individual link to the On Campus Programs: Tempe for more information.
QUESTION: How do I get on a waiting list?

Each on-campus program for children maintains their own waiting list and policies vary. First, save yourself time by finding out which program best meets the needs of your family. Contact ASU Family Resources for general information about the various programs available.

What is available during the summer for my school-age child or teenager?
Arizona State University offers a wide range of programs for children and youth each summer.
  • Programs can be for a targeted audience, for example, historically underrepresented minority students entering grades 7-9
  • Due to limited funding, programs may not be offered each summer
  • Programs may be held on ASU property, but may be provided by an off-campus organization or company

General Information:

Ages served: School age through high school
Cost: Cost vary with all programs. Ask if scholarships are available
Dates: Most programs are offered in June and July only

For further information visit the ASU Community Connect website.

QUESTION: What kind of financial assistance is available to help me pay for child care?
Student Parents

If you are a student and receive financial aid, discuss your child care costs with the Student Financial Assistance office to determine if your child care fees can be covered. In addition, contact the Department of Economic Security (DES) office in your city to determine if you are eligible for their child care subsidy programs.

Please visit the
Financial Assistance page for information.

Faculty and Staff

Please visit the ASU Human Resources web site for information about Flexible Spending Accounts to save on dependent care expenses. In addition, many child care facilities in the valley provide discounts to State and University employees. Contact ASU Family Resources or your child care provider for further information.

QUESTION: Is there drop-in child care available on campus?

No. It is important to note that drop-in care is different from part time care. Drop in care is care that is not on a regularly scheduled basis. Not only is there a high demand for the on-campus programs, but most importantly, low-ratios and small group sizes offered by these programs do not permit drop-in options. Contact ASU Family Resources for information on drop in child care available off campus.

QUESTION: What about family housing?

Family Housing is available only at ASU's Polytechnic campus. Please visit Family Housing for more information. You can also visit the Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS) website for housing options. OCSS

I am planning on breastfeeding when I return to ASU after the birth of my child. What services are available to assist me?

ASU Family Resources has responded to requests from breastfeeding mothers by providing access to a private room on the Tempe campuses' Memorial Union second floor, adjacent to the women's restroom, at the north end of the building, near the Engrained Restaurant. Please visit the Breastfeeding Support page.

Email Maureen Duane or call 480-965-9723.


As a new parent, what resources are available to me?

ANSWER: The Working Parents Network at ASU is a free, peer-led group for all faculty and staff who have children from newborn to age 5. The meetings will offer parents a positive setting where they can share tips and strategies to effectively manage the ongoing demands parents of young children face. The group will also identify available campus and community resources. The group meets on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 12:00 – 1:00 pm.
Bring your lunch and join us for an informal meeting and the opportunity to chat with other new parents in the ASU family who are experiencing the same things you are. 
For more details, contact Jenny Kampp, Coordinator, at
QUESTION: What do I do when my child care provider cannot provide care (for example, when my child is sick)?

Student Parents:

ASU Family Resources has information about agencies in the community that provide Emergency Child Care services. In addition, it is always a good idea to plan for back up care when you are first searching for child care providers.

Faculty and Staff:

Sick leave may be used only when an employee is absent due to illness or communicable disease within the employee's immediate family, established household, or in situations that place primary responsibility for care on the employee.

Immediate Family is defined as: parent, parent-in-law, brother, sister, spouse, child, grandparent, and any other person who is a member of the employee's established household.

If sick leave is not an option, ASU Family Resources has information about agencies in the community that provide Emergency Child Care services. In addition, it is always a good idea to plan for back up care when you are first searching for child care providers.


Page Top